The stars at night are big and bright...

The stars at night are big and bright...
The stars at night are big and bright...

Tuesday, March 26, 2013

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood

Tax day around the South 40. Yeaaaaa! (not) Fortunately, I have a sharper mind than mine pencil whipping away at it. Still, it's no fun. How do you expect me to remember what I spent $24 on over a year ago? Have you ever met me? If so, you already know I haven't the foggiest what it was, but it was for work. I think. Pretty sure it was for work.

More fun was yet to come. I got home and decided I might as well put a bale of hay out before I went in and changed into my sweater and slippers. Bro-InLaw's Big Blue Tractor cranked right up and I grabbed a bale. When I got to the gate I didn't take it completely out of gear (rookie mistake) and stalled it. I hit the key and nothing. Hmmm. It's a little finicky sometimes so I double check everything. Neutral, check. Clutch in, check. Brake on, check. Hit the key, nothing.

OK, the cab still has power and all the lights work so the battery isn't dead. I try to jump the starter solenoid and get a few sparks but it wont turn over. I run jumper cables direct to the solenoid from my pickup. Nothing. My first thoughts are a bad solenoid or possibly even a bad starter. But I don't think it's the starter. We'll find out when I can get a mechanic (a/k/a Bro InLaw) over to look at it. BIL did make another offer to sell me the Ford 7710. Honestly, if I had a use for one that big I'd buy it because it's a helluva tractor. When you get it started.

No comments: