The stars at night are big and bright...

The stars at night are big and bright...
The stars at night are big and bright...

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Songs That Make You Rowdy



I saw a thread with that title on a message board I frequent and this was the first song that came to mind. Actually pretty much any AC/DC song with Bon Scott will do it. As "rebel without a cause" as I considered myself when I was a teenager, in all actuality I was a pretty sheltered hick from the sticks that knew more about Bob Wills than rock and roll.

That all changed when I joined the Coast Guard and got the hell outa Dodge, or Chico as the case may be. I was suddenly exposed to new people, new cultures and most importantly new music. The Zoo (KZEW) was a great rock station, but it was surprisingly limited in the content department. Such was not the case with The Camel (KMEL) in San Francisco or KISW (they had no cool nickname) in Seattle. I started hearing all kinds of new and interesting music that I never heard before and I liked it! But there was one band that really struck a chord with me and that was AC/DC. Bon Scott seemed to reach into my body and shake me by my spine.

I can't tell you how many cassettes I wore out listening to them while I was at sea. I wore out twice as many when we were in port. Spilled beer might have had something to do with the latter. Then "Highway To Hell" was released and the whole world discovered AC/DC. Sadly, it was to be the last album Bon Scott ever recorded before his death.

The band moved on with Brian Johnson on vocals, but to me they were never quite the same.

To this day when I hear the driving beat, over-amped guitar and howling vocals of an old school AC/DC song with Bon Scott I'm transported back to the late 70's and still feel that hand reaching inside me and shaking my spine. I've had more than one young person look at me like I'm a crazy old man when it happens.

You know what? I might just be, but one thing is for certain... Bon Scott LIVES!

No comments: