The stars at night are big and bright...

The stars at night are big and bright...
The stars at night are big and bright...

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Come Over, Drink A Beer... We'll Have A Hayride!


Beware those words. Especially if you helped work on their baler the day before.


I do have to admit the hay loader is the greatest invention in the history of ever.


I remember hauling peanut hay during the summer when I was a teenager. Talk about a beating! Those peanut bales weighed 100-150 lbs depending on how much sand they had in them. Of course all that sand would fall in your face and stick to your body just to make the experience all the more memorable. We also worked without a driver to make more money. Point the truck in the right direction, put it in "Granny gear", pull the choke out 1/2 way and get after it!


Fortunately, this was coastal and the bales were only 60-75 lbs. Having to bend down, pick up, walkover and throw it up on top of the stack on the moving trailer, then run ahead of the truck to the next bale and repeat 300 times will wear your ass out in a hurry.


With a hay loader all you have to do is stand on the moving trailer and wait for it to spit the bale out then stack it. It still wears your ass out, just not as fast.

1 comment:

an Donalbane said...

I hauled hay one summer for my grand-dad. He had a loader, but still we had to stack it on the flatbed, then later in the pole barn. I was a quick study, figured out that driving the flatbed was the best gig.

One lesson's stayed with me though. To this day I'd rather get my exercise doing honest work for pay than to pay someone else to work out in their damn gym.