The stars at night are big and bright...

The stars at night are big and bright...
The stars at night are big and bright...

Wednesday, February 27, 2008

The Nightmare Continues

Money for nothing and materials for free. That's what the contractor I called quoted me to repair the fire damage to my house. $2200 bucks for 2 men on a 3 day job. You got to be kidding me!

First, I already bought all the materials for the job, $800 worth. I went with 25 year metal siding this time instead of vinyl. I also bought premium house wrap, not the cheap stuff. I'm not planning on having another fire, but if so it's gonna have to be a big one to melt metal.

At the most it is a two man 8 hour job. The hard part is replacing the house wrap beneath the floor insulation. I've already tacked the insulation back in place, just need to slide the wrap in beneath and staple it. It's not an easy job, but it's not a $2200 job either.

No news on the "who's responsable" front. I have a feeling this is going to wind up in a lawyer's office somewhere. I still have to replace all the windows on the west side of the house and the a/c unit was barbecued. So far, I have'nt needed it. But we all know what is coming down the road. I bet we see 100 degrees inside of 90 days. Yahoo...

Then there's the matter of all my stuff that was toasted. Air compressor, battery charger, tractor tires, brush hog, grain drill, hoses, power cords, building materials and ironicly, my barbecue smoker. I had a lot of stuff that got destroyed. Somebody's got to make good for it. You know if the shoe was on the other foot I would have everyone under the sun suing me.

More news as it develops.





2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well what kind of bid did you get from Buck?

RPM said...

It was better than the first, but not much better.