The stars at night are big and bright...

The stars at night are big and bright...
The stars at night are big and bright...

Saturday, February 23, 2008

Movie of the Week: Part Deux


I realise I've already done the Movie of the Week, but HBO Signature just ran one of my favorite films, Hud. This may be the first film I ever felt a connection with.


Written by my favorite author Larry McMurtry and set in rural North Texas, Hud was filmed in McMurtry's (and my own) hometown, Archer City. This film is a snapshot of rural 1960's Texas. It is a story of greed and a disfuntional family. Melvin Douglas gives an Oscar winning performance as patriarch Homer Bannon. A principaled man, Homer is an old cattleman set in his ways. He also hates his son, Hud, played by Paul Newman.


Hud is a big fish in a small pond but after living under the thumb of his father all his life, he wants to be the biggest fish. Hud is an unprincipaled man. He sleeps with married women, he drinks to excess nightly and he's used to getting what he wants when he wants it.


Brandon DeWilde, in possibly his best performance, is Lonnie Bannon, the son of Hud's dead brother. He's a doe eyed 17 year old that idolises his Uncle Hud, but honors his Grandfather more. Patricia Neal earned a Best Actress Oscar for her performance as Alma, the sultry, streetwise, divorced housekeeper.


I think the reason I am drawn to this film is the fact I can so strongly identify with all the characters. The script loosely echos my own family history and undoubtably the lives of many rural Texans in the 1960's.


The stark North Texas landscape is captured to perfection in black and white by cinematographer James Wong Howe who earned an Oscar for his efforts. If you grew up on a cattle ranch in Texas during the 60's and 70's you can truly appreciate this film. If you did'nt, you have a unique candid view into the past.


This is one of those "watch it everytime it is on" movies for me and I hope it will be for you as well.



No comments: