The stars at night are big and bright...

The stars at night are big and bright...
The stars at night are big and bright...

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Victory Is Mine!

I've had pure hell with my water system after I upgraded my wellhouse. I built a new one that will take an F5 to knock down, installed a water softner and jacked up the pressure 20lbs. Unfortunately hard water scale along with some chunks of dirt that got into the pipe during construction started clogging various faucets and lines in the house.

The pressure was great in the master bath, but on the other side of the wall in the laundry room it was so low that it burned out the water valve in my washer. The guest bath pressure was so low the toilet valve would not cut off and it would dribble continuously.

I tried backflushing with a garden hose, blew the lines clear with air, replaced valves and faucets. All to no avail, until yesterday. I was taking the cold water line off the washer for the 57th time this month but the faucet was hard to close and "crunchy". I took the line off the back of the washer and saw the screen on the new valve I had just installed 2 days ago was completely plugged with sand and scale. I took a turkey baster and flushed it clean then stuck the water hose in the mop bucket and turned it on.

I swear to God it went "Patooey!" and shot out a wad of sand and scale that would fill a coffee cup. I left it running until it exorcised all the demons from it's system. I hooked everything back up and it now takes about 2 minutes to fill the washer where it was taking half an hour. I did the same thing to the line going to the toilet in the guest bath and got similar results.

So, knock on wood, all this mess is finally behind me and I can start enjoying having nice soft water with reliable pressure. It's the little things in life...

1 comment:

aroundthecorner said...

At the lakehouse (Blockers Camp) we use water straight out of the lake for our water supply. Except to drink of course. Sometimes those very tiny Mussels will invade the system and get stopped right near a water supply valve, near the toilet or sinks. Every year or so I have to disassemble them and flush them. Same thing.....POP and then all is good for a while. The worst/hardest/pain in the butt is the new style single handle shower diverters. I bet I have taken it apart 30 times in a year. Looks like we will have to set up some filtration system at some point also. GO TONY!!!