The stars at night are big and bright...

The stars at night are big and bright...
The stars at night are big and bright...

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Ancient Movie Of The Week


Wow, talk about dragging one out of the mothballs. TCM is showing Onionhead this afternoon. I haven't seen that movie in over 30 years. It stars Andy Griffith in a takeoff of No Time For Sergeants. It's basically the same movie (country bumpkin winds up in the military, hilarity ensues) only instead of the Air Force he's in the Coast Guard.

Now you can see why I have an affection for this film. You can count movies about the Coast Guard on 1 hand and still hold a cup of coffee. Onionhead was such a boxoffice and critical flop that it reportedly is the reason Griffith gave up working in film and turned to television, thus bringing Mayberry to the masses. But, regardless of the branch of service, extreme resemblance to NTFS or critical pans, this is a funny, albeit predictable film that features a young redheaded Walter Matthau and pre-Rat Pack Joey Bishop as well.

DVR worthy.

3 comments:

el chupacabra said...

It's slightly rare that I've never heard of an American made movie, but one starring my main man Andy Griffith? I'll be looking for that one. My kids always love the oldies.
Is it just me or did it look like the Coasties marching on the poster have KKK spelled out across their chests until I enlargenated it?

RPM said...

LOL, I never noticed that until you mentioned it!

RPM said...

Wow, I had completely forgotten the "I'm a slut and I was born this way" scene. Kinda surprising actually.