The stars at night are big and bright...

The stars at night are big and bright...
The stars at night are big and bright...

Friday, November 11, 2011

Homemade Apple Pie


I first heard of "Apple Pie" watching "Justified" on FX. Then I found some by legendary moonshine runner and NASCAR Hall of Famer Junior Johnson at Mugs & Jugs. It tasted as good as it sounded, so naturally I had to make some of my own. I found several different recipes, but they were all basically the same. 

Here's the one I followed from Good Ole Ways:

1/2 gallon of apple juice
1/2 gallon of apple cider
3/4 cup white sugar
1 1/4 cups of brown sugar
4 cinnamon sticks
1/2 liter of 190 Proof Grain Alcohol

To get started, you need a large boiling pot. Add into this pot the apple juice, apple cider, the white and brown sugar, and the whole fresh cinnamon sticks. Bring these contents to a boil, then remove the pot from the stove and let it cool down to room temperature. Once at room temperature, gradually stir in the 190 proof grain alcohol. What you don’t consume in one sitting, you can bottle for later use. Store it in sterile Mason jars, place one cinnamon stick in each jar, and then store them in a cool dark dry place. After a couple of weeks your Apple Pie Moonshine will taste even better.  This batch will make about 4 1/2 quarts.

I used Mott's "Fresh Pressed" apple juice and added a little Allspice to the recipe to give it more pie flavor. I was hoping to find some fresh apple cider at one of the fruit stands on 287 near Sunset, but they were all closed, (damnit) and I had to go with what was available at Marketplace. I also used a full liter of Everclear since I didn't have any pure corn liquor. Fresh cider aside, it turned out FAN-FREAKING-TASTIC!

A word of caution if you dare to do the deed. After the first sip (and barely then) you can't taste the alcohol. This stuff will slip up on you like Charlie thru the wire. By the time you realize what's happened, it's too late... your already hammered. You can also experiment with adding a few drops of artificial butter flavoring.

Enjoy in good health, my friends!

No comments: