The stars at night are big and bright...

The stars at night are big and bright...
The stars at night are big and bright...

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Just hold perfectly still...

Well I finally committed to taking the leap and getting LASIK surgery on my eyes. I have to confess I'm a huge freaking coward about it. The thought of the surgical procedure gives me the willys. Don't explain every step to me, just give me one of those George Clooney head nods, smile and say everything is going to be just fine.

You had me at Hello.

My corneal flap is thick and should make for excellent cutting? Thanks for sharing that. I'll be awake thru the whole thing and may smell something like burning hair? That makes me feel confident about my decision. Honest to God just shut the hell up and tell me to sign here, here and here. I don't have any questions because I've been researching/talking myself into this for 10 years and you are not helping.

I chose Dr. Tylock in Irving. He's the guy that does all the corrective surgery for the Rangers, Stars and Mavericks. There's signed jerseys from each of the players he's treated in the hallways of his clinic including Dirk Nowitzki and Josh Hamilton. He's also got the latest and greatest equipment available. If the NBA and AL MVP's trust him to slice open their eyeballs, then he's the guy I'm going to use.

Just do us all a favor and quit telling me what you're going to do to my eyeball, m'kay?

I wonder if they will let me listen to some Pink Floyd when it's go time. I used to love laser rock shows.

4 comments:

Kathleen... said...

[oofph] Best of luck with your thick flaps. Prayers your way.....

el chupacabra said...

I'm with you brother- tell me what to do and not to do and I'm good.

Oh, and yes- I don'y mind if I DO take a 10 mg Valium before the procedure...

an Donalbane said...

Are you doing both at once?

Agree with the Chupster, a Valium or Tylenol 3, Comfortably Numbing eyedrops and let's go.

I wore hard contacts from 1978 to 2002 - have been wearing glasses mostly since then, but would consider the LASIK. Back in the '90s, my employer's insurance covered the mini-RK, but I was just out of the range for that procedure.

RPM said...

Yeah, getting both done at once. I have astigmatism so doing just one wouldn't help much. I'm also going for the far sight correction instead of the near/far correction where one eye see up close and the other for distance.

I tried on a pair of glasses that simulated the near/far correction and I looked like I just drank a quart of Maker's Mark trying to walk. I can still see up close well enough without glasses to worry about that later.