The stars at night are big and bright...

The stars at night are big and bright...
The stars at night are big and bright...

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Don't Mess With Texas


This year is the 25th anniversary of the famous CAF Don't Mess With Texas public service announcement. It was IMHO, the best one of the bunch and they had some pretty good ones in that ad campaign. But I always thought the B-17 looked so low because of wide angle lenses, zoom and camera angle.

BOY, was I wrong!


This behind the scenes video shows just how low they actually got. That's some ballzy stuff in a 50 year old warbird! I kept waiting for a propstrike on that van. It also looks like the Fortress pilot had more huevos than the fighter jocks. The Pony and Wildcat didn't make the final cut.

2 comments:

an Donalbane said...

You're right, that would've been some major badness if those twirling thingies had impacted with a fixed object on the ground. A couple years after I got out of college, some of my folks' neighbors were taxiing up to their hangar (they live on an airpark). Some other neighbors were out of town, and their [beautiful] black lab thought they were returning - walked right into the prop of that 182.

Commemorative Air Force?
Ain't what it was 25 years ago...

Several years ago, a friend obtained two DMWT stickers, did a little editing with an x-acto knife, and presented me with my very own Don't Mess with Don bumper sticker. I think it's still in my office somewhere.

RPM said...

They will always be the Confederate Air Force to me!

I noticed in the comments an accident caused the insurance to kick in and force a change in flight ops.