The stars at night are big and bright...

The stars at night are big and bright...
The stars at night are big and bright...

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Oh Dear Jesus Help Me, I'm a Republican

While hitting the local liquor store on a resup mission, I noticed a cool Texas shaped bottle near the checkout. Upon closer inspection it was for Republic Organic Tequila. Great, hooch made with authentic 100% burro crap fertilizer. I bought a fifth anyway, just for the bottle. It made a nice collectable and the price was not too outrageous for a fifth of 100% agave, about $35.

I chose the silver (or Plata) which is unaged straight out of the still and has never touched oak. Normally I drink Anejo for the smoother finish after aging in new oak barrels, but this was cheaper by a couple bucks and I was more interested in the bottle than the tequila. Generally speaking, I'm not a fan of boutique liquors that rely on gimmicky packaging and marketing to sell their stuff. I was in the business too long to not spot a crap product being pushed thru the system by marketing money. Usually it's from some investment guys that have never seen the factory or product that buy a batch cooked off by some independent at a discounted price and use marketing to sell bullshit for a profit.

Shocker... this is some great tequila.

Republic is extremely clean and smooth with absolutely no after bite. It is, as I like to say, sneaky smooth. One second everything is fine, then... WHAM!

Organic cactus hugger or not, Republic is some really good tequila! I'd rank it right up there with Don Julio, Patron or any of the other high end brands I've sampled. (And I've sampled quite a few)



Tom Nail and Ken MacKenzie appear to be the real deal and interested in turning out a quality product and not just another tourist trap hooch .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've seen that but was scared to buy it. Please tell me you're a "sipper" and not a "shooter" before I run out and buy some. I almost slapped a bartender for watering down my patron (putting a pound of ice in the mixer) and dousing it with salt and lime.

Brown-eyed girl