The stars at night are big and bright...

The stars at night are big and bright...
The stars at night are big and bright...

Monday, May 24, 2010

For Cory


http://www.hulu.com/watch/3514/saturday-night-live-fred-garvin-male-prostitute

For some reason I can't get the video to embed, but here's the story anyway...

Apparently my freakish skill at recalling old random TV/movie bits is legendary. Seems I have a shared chromosome or other genetic abnormality somewhere between Dennis Miller and Rainman. Like it or not, I am the King of the Obscure Reference.

Case in point. I ran into an old friend that I hadn't seen in a while at work last week. The first thing he said to me was "I thought about you a few weeks ago. I was talking to someone and we were trying to remember what was that character Dan Akroyd played that time on SNL?"

Immediately, without any further clues I answered "Fred Garvin, Male Prostitute."

Not Elwood Blues, not Julia Child, not Bass-O-Matic... Fred Garvin.

It's freaky.

I did the same thing once when I was working in Addison. My boss asked me about Lou Gherig and I answered with "Today, day, day. I consider myself, elf, elf... the luckiest man, an, an... on the face of the Earth, rth, rth."

It was the echo that sealed the deal.


Like I said, it's freaky. I can't help it.

I promise to use my gift against the forces of evil.

3 comments:

an Donalbane said...

I dunno RPM, judging from the looks I get from people, I'm right up there with ya on obscure references.

I'm regarded as a great ass..[wait for it]..et when it comes to playing Trivial Pursuit. Probably because most of my stored knowledge is trivial.

an Donalbane said...

OK, here's an idea. Plant a mole inside the Zanuck company, and secretly replace a Boolie Werthan scene from Driving Miss Daisy with Fred Garvin - Male Prostitute, on a batch of rental DVDs.

And just to poke fun at Chelsea Handler, maybe slip in a Samuel L. Jackson scene in place of Hoke Colburn...

RPM said...

ROFLMAO, you are a sick man.

I like it!