The stars at night are big and bright...

The stars at night are big and bright...
The stars at night are big and bright...

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Retro Vision



How long does it take for a pair of glasses to wear out? A lot longer than it did when I was a kid. About 15 years longer to be exact.

My old specs are finally fubar. I've had several pair since these, but I always reverted back to this old pair because I could see better out of them. With the newer pairs I had trouble seeing close up and reading, which I do a lot of at work. I know what the problem is, I need bifocals. But only old people wear bifocals and damnit I'm not old!

OK, I'm old... You happy now?

The other problem with bifocals is they are freaking ex-pen-sive! The last time I had my eyes examined they tried to talk me into a pair of lineless bifocals and the lenses alone were over $350. Uh, sorry. Give me the cheap bastard price set of single vision lenses and these frames from the markdown closeout bin. No special coating, no tinting and no underbody rustproofing. Did I mention I have a coupon?

The pair I'm wearing now is of the above mentioned quality and they are scratched allll to hell. It's like walking around with "I just woke up in a Vegas hotel room after a bachelor party" vision. I tried using some stuff I saw on an infomercial called Liquid Lense. It worked about as well as you would expect. It might be fine for fixing a scratched headlight or windshield, but it is an epic fail for eyewear.

I've got one other pair that is actually high quality, but they really strain my eyes and I definitely can't read anything wearing them. Before you try suggesting contacts, been there done that and almost lost an eye trying. I developed an ulcer and got a severe infection on my left eye. The ophthalmologist that treated me told me never to try contacts again and for once I'm listening to what someone tells me to do.

I almost had laser surgery in 2001, but the $3500 pricetag and the thought of a laser beam frying my eyeballs made me chicken out. Now, I thinking that was one of my Top 10 bonehead moves.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

try eyemasters over in weatherford. two pair of no line bifocals for 150 bucks. im happy with mine.