The stars at night are big and bright...

The stars at night are big and bright...
The stars at night are big and bright...

Monday, September 21, 2009

Notes From The Flint, Michigan Arlington, Texas Megabowl


My new boss scheduled me early Sunday so I could watch the big Cowboys/Giants game at JerryWorld. It was a nice gesture on his part, but how was he to know I really don't care about the Cowboys? Note to Boss: The next time you're feeling generous with the schedule, I'm a NASCAR fan.


I decided to go ahead and watch the game so I could get a look at the stadium and have an semi-informed opinion of the team.


I fell asleep somewhere early in the 3rd quarter after the freaky interception that bounced off Jason Witten's foot. I guess my brain decided opinions were already formed and had seen enough. The only way Dallas was going to win that game was if the Giants also fell asleep or Tony Romo's Momma came to him in a concussion induced dream with the football equivalent of the Alley-Oop. That was some UGLY football.


Note to Jerry: The next time you have the option to choose your opponent for the Grand Opening of your new Billion dollar stadium, think Oakland Raiders. Heck, Philly would have been a perfect choice.


OK, here's my take on the whole shebang:



  • Cowboys Stadium... reallly nice place, but overpriced. I fear the "bang for the buck" ratio is far out of whack. Maybe someday it will draw The Olympics to North Texas. Between it, the AAC and Northwest's home field you could hold any event needed. The overhype was overwhelming. 105.3 preempted their broadcast of the first race in the NASCAR "Chase" to do a live pregame show 5 hours before the game! Please tell me they won't be doing that anymore.

  • '09 Cowboys... reality is finally sinking in. Tony Romo ain't all that. Think Gary Hogeboom. This is a bad team with a few good players. I really like their running backs. I think Wade Phillips is a good man, but I don't think he's a good head coach. I predict many more ugly games ahead.

  • NBC's SNF coverage... greatness. They have taken the best of what ESPN and ABC had, reworked it and made it their own. They have a better opening montage (sorry Hank,Jr fans, but Faith Hill rocked the house with a remake of "I Hate Myself For Loving You")



    Dan Patrick and Keith Olberman are workin' their studio schtick just like the good ol' days and the play by play team of Al Michaels and Chris Collingsworth have great chemistry.

    The only complaint I might have is the stupid animated graphics they have for player stats.You'd never guess that those eye blinks and lip curls are computer generated.

No comments: