The stars at night are big and bright...

The stars at night are big and bright...
The stars at night are big and bright...

Thursday, June 30, 2016

Decisions, Decisions

or

Havin hard times in this crazy town... Well it couldn't last forever. The oilfield crash has finally hit The South 40 and forced me out of retirement as a Southern Country Gentleman. (I refuse to give up my Mint Juleps)

After an exhaustive job search (there ain't many choices 'round these parts folks) I narrowed it down to 2 choices.

Option 1: Deloitte University is a 5 Star Corporate training center and retreat located on the Perot Ranch.

The upside: The dress code is business formal (I love to suit up). 4 day work week. The place just screams high tech and posh. I was blown away by the facility and really liked the people I would be working with running the security center. It looked like something straight out of '24' with a giant video wall that covered the facility in Westlake and other Deloitte locations worldwide.
Very similar setup:


The downside: The commute. An hour each way.

Option 2: Brookshire's has bought 25 Walmart Neighborhood Markets and have raided their current staff to fill those new stores. The Bridgeport store has a management opening that I can work my way into. But I would have to work my way in. (Apparently over a dozen years of management isn't enough to be hired directly into the position.)

The upside: The commute. 10 minutes.

The downside: I have no guarantee of the management position. The pay (even if I do get management) is less than Deloitte starting pay. Less than 40 hours. Not a 4 day work week. I would NOT be suiting up.

Honestly this is a lot harder than I thought it would be. Deloitte should be a no-brainer, but I'm really dreading that commute. I guess it will come down to a coin flip.

2 comments:

an Donalbane said...

A few years ago, we used to shoot sporting clays from a hilltop just north-northwest of that campus.

an Donalbane said...

Apparently over a dozen years of management isn't enough to be hired directly into the position.

Yeah, times is tough. I'm having some of the same experiences. I've lost track of the number of jobs that I could practically do in my sleep, that I don't even get responses from. Middle son works at the campus east of Deloitte - his mother works at the one across the street.