The stars at night are big and bright...

The stars at night are big and bright...
The stars at night are big and bright...

Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Happy Birthday Mel Brooks

90 years young!
There's not a Mel Brooks film I don't enjoy. Oh I like some more than others, but I enjoy each and every one of them. Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein are classics that can never be remade. Robin Hood: Men in Tights is a film that probably shouldn't have been made (but it still makes me laugh).  I don't get Spaceballs, but it has it's moments and some people think it ranks among his finest. His remake of To Be or Not To Be is woefully underrated.

History of The World, Part 1 is pure genius and has my favorite musical number in film. 

Happy Birthday, Mel. The world would have been a much, much duller place without you in it.

1 comment:

an Donalbane said...

No question. Brooks and those of that era (Caesar, Reiner, Allen, Simon) made some comedy for the ages.

I actually was watching Life Stinks last night. Though not really in the same vein as BS or YF, it was probably a better film than the recognition it got.

The 'levitating table' scene in Silent Movie was genius.