The stars at night are big and bright...

The stars at night are big and bright...
The stars at night are big and bright...

Sunday, April 3, 2016

L'Agriculture Est Fin


38 acres plowed, planted and packed with Giant Bermuda. I don't mind telling you this year really kicked my ass and I more than earned that cold beer.

Farming, how do I hate thee. Let me count the ways...

First, I had to hire a mechanic to work on my tractor after I broke an injector line. Luckily he's damn good and was able to braze it back together instead of me having to buy a new set.

Second, I had to call him back to help me work on the plow. Last year I replaced several discs and bearings on the plow I had borrowed. Unfortunately, I didn't replace ALL the bearings and 2 more went out just as I got started. I probably could have done the job myself, but as previously stated my mechanic is damn good. He did in a couple of hours what would have taken me a couple of days and did a better job than I ever could.

Third, it took me 3 times to get the seed and fertilizer covered. The first time should have been enough, but I came up about 8 acres short. The math was off somewhere in figuring the coverage overlap to get the pounds per acre right. Coach Turner would not be proud of my algebra. I went back and bought more and came up short again. This time I underestimated the area.

So as the saying goes, third time's the charm. I actually had a little left over this time (I wasn't about to come up short again) and used the extra to make sure all my corners were well covered.

Fourth, as I was packing the seed in with a roller I made the discovery that the seat on my tractor was locked in the full up position instead of floating. It was only moving a few inches compared to the foot or more of shock absorption it was capable. I had been beating my back to a pulp for no good reason other than I was a moron. That last hour was like riding in a Cadillac compared to the previous days spent bouncing like a bean in a rattle. I think I might be an inch or two shorter than I was before I started.

The good news is all the hard work is done. Now all I have to do is pray for a little rain and that I get a good stand. I will have to mow for weeds in a couple months, but other than that I'm done and have satisfied my obligation to the contract I signed with the USDA. They should be reimbursing me for a good chunk of the cash I spent putting the grass in. (Would have been a bigger chunk if I didn't have to go back twice for more fertilizer and seed.) But now I'll have twice the hay I previously did (if it grows).

4 comments:

an Donalbane said...

Reminds me of something I heard recently:

...Gonna leave sodbustin' behind
Get these hard times right on out of our minds
Riding Wildfire...

Bear said...

I knew I liked you for some reason. Coors has been my choice for adult beverage ever since my dad gave me my first one at about 8 yrs old on a Sunday afternoon drive. Been enjoying that tasty beverage for over 50 years now.

My friends roll their eyes when we go to a restaurant and I ask if they have Coors Original. When they say no, I ask if they have "Sam Adams choco-latt-mocha Autumn brew" or some other crazy brand, and they say "yes we do". I then order water.

RPM said...

I just switched back to Coors original a few years ago after my trip to Breckenridge. I'd forgotten how good it was. Coors Light, however, isn't fit to put out a grassfire. I'd been drinking Bud Light for many years simply because that's what most of the people I know drink so that's what I would keep on hand. Ya know what? They have to drink Coors when they come over now.

Bear said...

Coors Original is all I keep ion my fridge. If you want one, drink it or bring your own.