38 acres plowed, planted and packed with Giant Bermuda. I don't mind telling you this year really kicked my ass and I more than earned that cold beer.
Farming, how do I hate thee. Let me count the ways...
First, I had to hire a mechanic to work on my tractor after I broke an injector line. Luckily he's damn good and was able to braze it back together instead of me having to buy a new set.
Second, I had to call him back to help me work on the plow. Last year I replaced several discs and bearings on the plow I had borrowed. Unfortunately, I didn't replace ALL the bearings and 2 more went out just as I got started. I probably could have done the job myself, but as previously stated my mechanic is damn good. He did in a couple of hours what would have taken me a couple of days and did a better job than I ever could.
Third, it took me 3 times to get the seed and fertilizer covered. The first time should have been enough, but I came up about 8 acres short. The math was off somewhere in figuring the coverage overlap to get the pounds per acre right. Coach Turner would not be proud of my algebra. I went back and bought more and came up short again. This time I underestimated the area.
So as the saying goes, third time's the charm. I actually had a little left over this time (I wasn't about to come up short again) and used the extra to make sure all my corners were well covered.
Fourth, as I was packing the seed in with a roller I made the discovery that the seat on my tractor was locked in the full up position instead of floating. It was only moving a few inches compared to the foot or more of shock absorption it was capable. I had been beating my back to a pulp for no good reason other than I was a moron. That last hour was like riding in a Cadillac compared to the previous days spent bouncing like a bean in a rattle. I think I might be an inch or two shorter than I was before I started.
The good news is all the hard work is done. Now all I have to do is pray for a little rain and that I get a good stand. I will have to mow for weeds in a couple months, but other than that I'm done and have satisfied my obligation to the contract I signed with the USDA. They should be reimbursing me for a good chunk of the cash I spent putting the grass in. (Would have been a bigger chunk if I didn't have to go back twice for more fertilizer and seed.) But now I'll have twice the hay I previously did (if it grows).