The stars at night are big and bright...

The stars at night are big and bright...
The stars at night are big and bright...

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

If a tree falls in the woods, does it smash a minitruck?

 







I'm telling you that was one of the strangest things I've ever had happen to me. There I was typing away at a quick blog entry before getting ready for work when I heard a strange snapping/crackling/popping noise for a few seconds. It stopped then a louder crash/scrape/general mayhem noise.

My first thought was the cows had wandered thru the fence somewhere and were on the patio. Boy, was I wrong. 



As you can see in the pictures there are leaves on the tree branch that broke, so it wasn't dead. There was no sign of insect damage or disease. It was damaged in the fire that swept thru my place a few years ago and I'm sure that weakened the tree considerably. But there wasn't much wind, either. It just broke.

Luckily, Lil' Suzi is "Tokyo Tough" and the RV is in the shop getting wiring repaired or it would have been sitting right there. It also missed my covered patio/carport by a few feet. That's a hefty tree limb, about 8 inches diameter, and it fell 12-15 feet. Had it taken a different angle, I'm sure it would have done quite a bit of damage.

Littlesister has already staked a firewood claim on it.

Burn, baby, burn...

1 comment:

an Donalbane said...

Glad to hear Suzi wasn't seriously hurt.