The stars at night are big and bright...

The stars at night are big and bright...
The stars at night are big and bright...

Sunday, September 4, 2011

The Great 2011 Dove Hunt

See any dove?

Neither did I.

I was out at dawn, Remington in hand, waiting for the feast. And I waited and waited and waited...

Finally around 10am a lone dove made it's way past me on the way to the stock tank but just at the far range of my gun. I took the shot and caught a few feathers, but no kill.. An hour or so more and I called it quits. But to add insult to injury, while rolling up my driveway not 1, but 2 of the fattest dove you've ever seen flew right across the hood of my truck.

Just a second I thought, "my windshield's already busted and my gun's in the backseat, I can do this..." then common sense took over and I decided it wasn't worth it.

There is still hope, a "cold front" is predicted and maybe it will be enough to get the dove migrating.

I've got bacon, onion, garlic and jalapeno on ready alert.

2 comments:

an Donalbane said...

A guy we were talking to after church yesterday said he was taking his son out today - he has a place near Crafton = said they have water and have seen good numbers of dove.

el chupacabra said...

A friend of a friend went hunting a couple of days ago. I don't think they killed any doveessses, but oddly killed a coyote and a bobcat. My favorite comment on the Facebook page where they posted a pic of their prey: Ya'll are TERRIBLE hunters- those don't look anything like doves!