The stars at night are big and bright...

The stars at night are big and bright...
The stars at night are big and bright...

Monday, June 14, 2010

When I'm Wrong I Admit It

There was a time about 10 years ago when I was so angry I fired off a protest letter. One of my favorite commercial free movie channels decided to stop being commercial free. American Movie Classics used to be like Turner Classic Movies, uncut and commercial free 'classic' films. I love that, especially if I'm paying for the service to start with.

I actually received a return letter from the President of AMC apologizing for the move, but explaining they would be developing new content with the added funds. Previously AMC had produced "Remember WENN" a show about a 1940's radio station. It was good, but it was no WKRP. I was thinking they would be doing specials on old films, award shows, biographies.

Boy was I wrong!

AMC has quickly become a powerhouse of original entertainment able to go toe-to-toe with the champs. First came the miniseries 'Broken Trail' with Robert Duval and Thomas Hayden Church. Not in the same class as Lonesome Dove, but a very good western and showed promise of the level of production AMC was aiming for. Next they took the gloves off and went to town.

Season 3 just wrapped of arguably the best show on TV, Breaking Bad. Next month the equally impressive Mad Men returns with season 4 chocked full of retrocoolness. A new series is scheduled to debut in August. Rubicon stars James Dale Badge (The Pacific) along with Lili Taylor (Six Feet Under, Mystic Pizza, Live From Baghdad, Rudy) and Miranda Richardson (Blackadder, Tom & Liv, Damage, The Evening Star, The Crying Game) They did a sneek peek after the finale of Breaking Bad, but I didn't have the DVR set to record it. Fortunately, they will give us another opportunity Tuesday night at 10pm.

Also slated for debut later this year is 'The Walking Dead' based on the black and white comic of the same name. I don't know much about this show yet but I'm told think 'Zombieland' without the laughs. Writer/producer/director Frank Darabont (Shawshank Redemption, Mad Men, Breaking Bad) is involved so expect good things from this show.

Not everything has come up roses for AMC. Their remake of 'The Prisoner' was pretty much a flop, but the original was strange and hard to follow as well. Cult fans of the show loved it, everyone else said "Huh?".

So here's my official retraction to that letter I sent you AMC. Keep doing exactly what you're doing. I'll keep fast forwarding thru the commercials.

1 comment:

el chupacabra said...

Walking Dead looks pretty enawesomeated- can't wait.