The stars at night are big and bright...

The stars at night are big and bright...
The stars at night are big and bright...

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

I Really Hate This View (BONUS: The Epilogue)

                              

Ah yes. Time once again to visit my favorite Cardiologist. Let's see if I can predict how this will go...




You need to quit smoking.
You need to lose weight.
You don't exercise enough.
Let's try this new medication your insurance doesn't cover...

Good news is I'm going all Homer Simpson on the Chinese Buffet joint when I get outa here.


EPILOGUE: It only got better. I woke up with a wicked kink in my right hip that felt like I had a Jacksboro Highway switchblade stuck in me, so I wasn't as agile as I normally am. Just for giggles Doc decides today I need a stress test on the treadmill. I've always made the 10 minute mark (it gets steeper and faster as you go), but today when it hit the 6 minute speed increase, the pain was too much and I had to bail. I was far from tired (honest!), but arthritis, lumbago, pinched nerve, trochanteric bursitis, whatever, I'm telling you the old age was hanging out.

Since I gained 10 pounds (thank you Blue Bell) and my stress test result was incomplete, now I get to go back and have a radioactive isotope injected in my blood so they can take a 3D picture of my heart after I run on the treadmill again. YAAAaaaayyy!!...

Silver lining to the dark cloud was my post-bloodtest fasting pigout at China Dragon. The buffet was awesome as ever. As an addendum to the positive, I filled the Grey Ghost for $2.41/gallon at QT on Central Dr.


I did get to share a few minutes with Doc. He's a late 50's Indian man with a very high intelligence and not much personality. But his work and record are outstanding. He's like an onion, many layers to get thru. I've been a patient long enough we have a bit of repertoire. He and I had a brief discussion on his bedside manner. His wife told him he was too clinical with his patients. 


I told him I was more interested in his job performance than his popularity.I can't even begin to imagine having that many lives juggling in my daily schedule. As long as the score keeps coming out in our favor, I'm all for not changing a damn thing.


He got a chuckle out of that.

No comments: