The stars at night are big and bright...

The stars at night are big and bright...
The stars at night are big and bright...

Friday, June 3, 2011

Khan!!!

No, I'm not talking about Roberto Monteban (altho he looked maaavelous) as an outerspace warlord. I'm talking about a free world class education for anyone, anywhere. The Khan Academy.

I hated math in school. I just didn't get numbers. I excelled in language classes, but math just gave me mega tiredhead. When I changed schools from Bridgeport to Chico I was given the gift of the world's greatest math teacher, Mr. Singleton and my grades skyrocketed from a C (it's my blog and I'll remember it how I want) to an A. Unfortunately, since I did so well with him I was put into the advanced group and was forced to take Algebra 1, Algebra 2 Trigonometry and Geometry. God hated me because none of those teachers were nearly as good as Mr. Singleton (thru no fault of their own) and I struggled with math all the way thru High School, except for Geometry. For some reason Geometry made sense when the others didn't (but I passed them all damn it!).

Anyway, my point is Salman Khan may just well be Mr. Singleton reincarnate. Don't let the name fool you, he's from Nawlins (New Orleans to you Yankees) born and raised.  He has 3 degrees from MIT and an MBA from Harvard. The dude is one sharp cookie, yet he makes the subject (not just math) interesting and you want to learn more about it. 



It all started when he wanted to tutor his cousin over the internet. Now 2,300+ videos later it's blossomed into The Khan Academy and is educating people all across the planet.  Best of all it's 100% free. You won't get a diploma, but you will get a world class education at no cost. This is what the intertubesnet was ment to be.




No comments: