The stars at night are big and bright...

The stars at night are big and bright...
The stars at night are big and bright...

Friday, June 24, 2011

Inquiring Minds Want To Know

Scooby Snack, Anyone?

I already know the answer, but I'm opening this up to The South40 Nation.

In a recent discussion regarding dogs eating rabbits attacking a garden, a friend wrote :
The best of both worlds. Feed the dog in the process with no expense, then put the poop at each corner of the garden like i did. A win/win. I like it. Just goes to show ya that a great idea can always be improved on. LOL
Sounds great, right? Well maybe... if you've never studied biology or agriculture or any class in hygiene in my opinion. But what do I know, I'm a Liberal Weenie (and I stayed awake in biology and FFA).

Even if you aren't using the dog manure as a direct fertilizer on the crops, you have to be concerned about runoff contamination if it's anywhere near the garden. Putting a pile of dog poo at each corner of your garden might scare away some varmits, but it virtually guarantees the garden (and any area in the runoff) will become a breeding ground for parasites that can lay dormant for years.

For some reason, I can't get this guy to understand how badly he's screwing up. He thinks I'm nuts, apparently scientific studies aren't proof and only liberal weenies go to skool.

So I put the question to the South40 Nation. Would you pile dog poo around your garden to scare away pests?

2 comments:

el chupacabra said...

A terribly unsafe idea. An idea whose teribleness is on par with Adolph Sr. turning to Hilda in late 1888 and saying,"I can't sleep- want to get it on?"

Grossness factor alone should have given the person pause when they considered this awful idea.

What about the animals said poo will DRAW- specifically other dogs, coons and opossums?

yuck

Anonymous said...

I agree...whenever an animal pees on one of my shrubs, along comes 10 others peeing on top of the original one and then I have a dead shrub. Same with the POO.