The stars at night are big and bright...

The stars at night are big and bright...
The stars at night are big and bright...

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Man Down! Man Down!

I was treated to a wonderful day at work Tuesday. I discovered my walk-in freezer was on the fritz. That's not a good. I had just ordered in a bunch of ice cream for the next ad and the clock was ticking. I couldn't use a hose to thaw it out (imagine lots of water damage to product) so I rigged up a blowdryer with some bailing wire and crossed my fingers.

I got it all cleaned out before I lost much product, but the ice cream wasn't a survivor. Neither was I unfortunately.

I had to stand on a ladder to reach the coils and there wasn't much room to move it around in the freezer. When I had to reposition my patent pending blowdryer/bailing wire contraption I switched to 1 foot on the ladder, 1 foot on a shelf. I already knew this was a bad idea in more ways than 1, but didn't have an option other than unloading the freezer and lose all the product. My main concern was the shelf collapsing and everything come tumbling down, so I tried to keep my weight on the ladder.

Let the games begin...

The shelf didn't collapse, but the ladder (now being pushed laterally by my weight) slid about a foot then tilted. I am now doing the splits suspended mid-air with no way out. Let's just say I don't take yoga classes, so after a few seconds I had to let go and come crashing down bouncing off racks and boxes along the way. Seems the only thing that got hurt was my right leg. I got a nasty bruise from the corner of a box that dug into my calf and hurts like hell. I take Plavix so even a little bump will leave a helluva bruise. This one looks like I was beaten with a baseball bat.

Medic!

Could have been worse. Why I didn't pull my groin is a miracle.

1 comment:

an Donalbane said...

Um, I dunno, but I wouldn't attempt skydiving if I were you...