The stars at night are big and bright...

The stars at night are big and bright...
The stars at night are big and bright...

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Well We're Moving On Up!

From this...
to THIS!
I've been toying with the idea of getting a bigger/newer RV to take to the races at Texas Motor Speedway. My current RV is a '78 Holiday Rambler and I love it to death. The old girl has character and fits in like a glove at the campgrounds. But, it has it's drawbacks. The main one being it's 32 years old and has a face only a Mother or Deer Hunter could love.

I thought about buying a FEMA trailer at an auction on the cheap, but I couldn't seem to find one I liked that I could pull with my 1/2 ton pickup. But, I've been wearing out Craigslist (sorry Silicone Alley, no kinky ads) looking at used campers. A little over a week ago I did a search for campers under $4,000. One of the results was a 1990 Itasca Sunflyer in Decatur. I sent them an e-mail and found out it wasn't actually in Decatur, it was about 2 miles from The South 40. Unfortunately, someone had already put down a deposit.

Normally I would have lost my temper and blown it off, but instead I sent a polite reply saying I wished no bad luck, but keep me in mind if it falls thru. Well guess what? I got an email Tuesday morning saying the deal did fall thru and to come by and have a look.

I recruited BIL to tag along and help me give it a good once over. I needed someone there to keep me from buying it without noticing all the things that were wrong with it. Honestly, after we got there I was afraid he might try to outbid me once he saw it! The thing is in immaculate condition. The owners had taken extremely good care of it. The batteries and tires were brand new, the interior was perfect and the only flaw was a cranky refrigerator.

It has an identical interior to a Prevost that belongs to someone I know and they paid over $80,000 when they bought it 10 years ago. It's an exact duplicate! Same layout, same floor plan, same color scheme, same material, same chairs. There were no worn spots on the upholstery or carpet. The only difference is the Prevost had a central vacuum system and an ice maker, this doesn't. Also the Prevost was a CAT diesel pusher and this has a 454 Chevy.

We gave it a quick test drive thru The Limestone Capitol and all went well. I wrote the guy a check and drove away!

It ran great! BIL even bragged that it drove much better than one he had been looking at that cost a WHOLE lot more.

I have a feeling things are going to be much more comfortable at TMS next month! Now I just need to find a Weezy Cute Little Racegirl to go camping with.

2 comments:

an Donalbane said...

Cool beanz!

Just make sure the guests use, you know, coasters under the brewskis in the new rig.

You don't want any condensation rings...

RPM said...

It has built in cupholders everywhere. HA!