The stars at night are big and bright...

The stars at night are big and bright...
The stars at night are big and bright...

Thursday, December 24, 2009

Twas The Night Before Christmas

And my damn pickup is stuck in the driveway!

I have a fairly steep incline as you leave the highway and venture onto The South 40,  but I've never had problems getting in or out. Naturally tonight it was no go. I was following a car going 15-20 in conditions that were safe for 30-35. I was going too slow when I turned and didn't make it.

Just a note for you drivers unaccustomed to winter driving. Going too slow is as bad as going too fast. Keep your momentum up on the highway and anticipate what's ahead of you. It's changes in momentum that will get you in trouble. Smoother is better. Think what's going to happen a 1/2 mile before it happens. It's weight + thrust ÷ traction.

You math wiz's can correct my formula. It's been a long time since Coach Turner's Algebra 101.

When I reached the driveway I was going slower than I needed because of the car in front of me. I turned off into my drive knowing I had a tough climb and I almost made it to the top before I lost traction. I had to back down to the road and take a second shot at it.

That second shot was my undoing. I couldn't get enough steam up, the truck slid off the side of the entrance and partially into the ditch before I could stop. Every attempt to move it just slid me farther down the incline. I finally decided to quit while I was ahead and hoofed the 1/2 mile thru the snowdrifts to the house. I was really glad I decided to wear my leather overcoat this morning.

Tomorrow if it thaws enough I'll take another shot at it, otherwise it's time to fire up the Massey Ferguson and drag it home. (Insert colorful language here)

No comments: