The stars at night are big and bright...

The stars at night are big and bright...
The stars at night are big and bright...

Friday, December 25, 2009

Christmas Memories



Chestnuts roasting on an open fire was never, ever a part of any Christmas I experienced growing up. Dysfunctional doesn't begin to describe what I dare to call my childhood. But hey, it could have been worse.

Now this does not say I didn't have some colorful and memorable holiday experiences. There was this one time back in 1967 when I spent Christmas break riding on the truck with my Dad. We left Bridgeport headed west for California in a Freightliner. I was 5, but I was aware of the counterculture and the hippies. I wanted to see a real live hippie and this was my chance. I would be sooooo cool!

If you've ever watched King of the Hill you've seen my Dad. Cotton Hill is a dead ringer except for the fact Dad still had his shins.

We left Bridgeport and made it as far as a roadside park outside of Jacksboro where Dad pulled in. A car flashed it's lights and then a woman climbed in the cab. Dad told me to get out and wait in the car... It was freezing and she had the car keys.

A couple of hours later the woman came back to the car and told me to get in the truck. When I climbed in Dad told me to get in the bunk and go to bed.

Unfortunately, I mentioned this when we got back home 2 weeks later and got in big time trouble from Dad.

I never did get to see a hippie.

2 comments:

Denney Crane said...

I sure miss your ole daddy... he was a hoot!

I must have made the shit list again this year... It's 4:30 and the fat bastard hasn't shown. I was gonna rob him and jack his ride!

an Donalbane said...

The hippies were doing the same thing in VW vans.