The stars at night are big and bright...

The stars at night are big and bright...
The stars at night are big and bright...

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Call For Phillip Morris


Littlesister did me a favor and smuggled brought me back 5 cartons of non-Fire Safe Cigarettes from her trip to The South. The people that sold them to her were sympathetic. One woman told her (and I quote) "those new ones taste like they have used tampon wrappers".

I can't disagree. I know I should stop smoking for the sake of my health. It's really bad for me mmkay?The problem is I really enjoy it. I've been around cigarette smoke my whole life. My Mom smoked L&M's and my Dad smoked Camel's. There was never (NEVER!!!) so much as a cracked window when we were in the car. That would let the a/c out!

I've been a nicotine addict since the 60's. That's a hard habit/environment to escape! As nasty and repugnant of a habit as it is, just the slightest whiff of nicotine is a siren's song to the senses. It's worse than Wimpy at Herdburgers!

I quit once in '79 then backslid after a traumatic event. I quit again in 2007, but restarted a few months later after another traumatic event.

Now, I'm wondering if I honestly have any incentive to stop. The woman I loved is dead, I have no kids and there is no one depending upon me to survive.

Is there any reason for me not to go full Hedonist? I really enjoy smoking. But then again, I am a bad influence. There's also a rumor that I've indulged in hard spirits originating from Kentucky and herbal remedies from Maui.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Come on, dude. Join the "unhooked" generation. Seriously, I quit three years ago after a thirty year habit. Like everyone else, I got started in my teens. It was just time to let go of it. I no longer seemed to fit who I am.

Good luck with your decision and if you decide to go for it, use every tool possible at your disposal. Giving up the smokes is a wicked bitch of a trip.

Roxie

Anonymous said...

I'm trying to gear up for another bout of quitting.