The stars at night are big and bright...

The stars at night are big and bright...
The stars at night are big and bright...

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Thank God I'm a Country Boy?



Life on the farm is kinda laid back. Ain't much an old Country Boy like me cain't hack. Except an old backfiring pumpjack at 3AM.




I remember being a small boy going to sleep in my Granddad's bed listening to 2 pumpjacks in the distance running out of rhythm. It was a fond memory. Last night I realised just how much time had blurred the actual event. They didn't rock me to sleep, they were annoying as hell!




Last night when I got home as soon as I stepped out of the truck I heard gunfire. No big deal. I live in the country and people shoot guns. A few seconds later I hear another gunshot. Hmm, poor aim. I live in the country and this stuff happens. Before I get in the house I hear another. I assume it's a group of guys drinkin beer and target shooting. Again, I live in the country. This stuff happens.




3 hours later I'm still hearing this random gunfire near me. I know they should have run out of beer and ammo by now or NCIS is filming a redneck edition. There's been no signs of Cote dePalo on my StalkerVision® celebrity radar, so I'm pretty sure it's not a location shoot.




When I woke up this morning, the noise was gone and I didn't think anything more about it. But, when I got home from work tonight it sounded like the Duke Boys was a takin' on Boss Hogg, Roscoe and Enos. Since I didn't hear any big blocks revving or air horns playin' Dixie I'm pretty sure that wasn't the case, either.




A long time ago almost all pumpjacks were converted over to electric motors. The old natural gas engines have gone the way of the rotary dial phone. Technology has made them obsolete. It's NOT a backfiring pumpjack. So what the hell is making this noise?




There is a pumping station about a mile away from me that feeds a couple of pipelines that run thru my place. But if that is what's making the noise and it's this loud here... What is making the noise?


Do I need to be worried? Is this a sign?




I'm cancelling that trip to Viking...




1 comment:

an Donalbane said...

Who knows what's making those noises.

But, as they say "...life ain't nothin' but a funny, funny riddle."