The stars at night are big and bright...

The stars at night are big and bright...
The stars at night are big and bright...

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Just Another Lovely Day, Lovely Day, Lovely Day...



I was actually productive yesterday. I finished a long promised project and installed an outside water hydrant at my wellhouse so my BrotherInLaw can fill a water tank for his cattle on my pasture. (We're in the middle of a drought, remember?)

As my luck runs, it wound up backfiring on me.

First, a bit of background. When I moved to The South 40, I built a new wellhouse for my new well. I did a pretty good job, too. It used heavy steel for the frame, lined it with insulation and used 20 year steel for the skin. It was all 3 people could do to move the danged thing off a trailer and over the well. It weighed close to 1000 lbs. The one thing I didn't do was anchor it to withstand 100+ mph wind.

About a year after I did all this a tornado barely (and I DO mean barely) missed my house. I watched my ceiling flex 6 inches and felt my house shake like a 400 lb stripper while I sat back in my recliner with bourbon in hand and contemplated lifes events. It picked up the wellhouse and flung it 185 yards across the pasture before not so gently returning it to Mother Earth. It ripped the door off and twisted the frame somewhat, but remained more or less intact. I loaded it up on a trailer and returned it to the well. Since then I have had to resort to a combination of duct tape and plastic sheeting to keep the door on and my water from freezing. It looks like a Picasso design.

So I peel the layers of plastic and duct tape loose, install the new hydrant and button the thing back up. Job done!

Riiiiight...

This morning I wake up early for my dayshift, jump in the shower and start putting Sinatra to shame. Ol' Blue Eyes was not happy. After a few minutes the water suddenly starts to fizzle out. Naturally, I had just put on my shampoo. I managed to rinse most of it out under the trickle of water that remained. F**K!!!!!

So, I put on my bathrobe and slippers and make my way out to the well in subfreezing temperature. I rip my way thru the cocoon and into the wellhouse. Everything looks fine, except the well ain't working. Ratsafrackinbiggarattin.... I take the pressure switch apart and VIOLA! Fireants have invaded the electrical contacts.

For those unaware, fireants are attracted to electicity. There's a buisness opportunity there somewhere....

So soaking wet, I go to the main breaker on the powerpole and cut it off. I just love dealing with high voltage while wet... I clean the ants out of the switch and turn the power back on. I hear the water pump running and run my freezing ass back into the house to finish my shower.

Problem solved, right? Oh, HELL NO!

Seems the drop in pressure somehow made my water filter decide to stop up. I finished my shower, but under decidedly less than full pressure conditions. I hurried to work, but I was 20 minutes late.

To recap. Yesterday, I tore into the wellhouse, worked on it and resealed it. This morning I tore into the well house, worked on it and resealed it. Today, I could not find a new water filter in Bridgeport after work. So I have to get up early, go to the hardware store then tear my way into the wellhouse to work on it and reseal it again before I go to work tomorrow.

You know, I built a strong well house so I would'nt have to deal with shit like this...

2 comments:

Chris OConnell said...

You can do yourself a real favor and keep moth balls in your outside box and close to your outdoor A/C unit. Fireats are drawn to electricity and it causes real problems, as you've seen first hand. I workd heating and a/c in Texas for years I know, an odd job for a female but it was fun and most of the year was outdoors.

Have a better day,
Chris
MN

ps: Be sure and add them every few weeks, they disolve.

LandShark 5150 said...

I have been there brother. Burning eyes and all. I've got some ant killer that works-- no more fire ants. I can run it by to you if you want.Just let me know.