The stars at night are big and bright...

The stars at night are big and bright...
The stars at night are big and bright...

Saturday, September 13, 2008

I'm a Baaaaad Blogger


Yeah, I haven't posted anything in a week, but it was one of those weeks where nothing worthwhile happened. Yeah, I tackled a shoplifter (Don't mess with the Old Man!), won my court case on driving my Suzuki on a public roadway and test drove a new Dodge truck but nothing earthshattering happened to speak of.

But, if earthshattering is a benchmark then I suppose I should post. Hurricane Ike is pummeling the Texas coastline. The eye passed over Galveston around midnight and passed just east of downtown Houston around 5am. The storm looks to head into Huntsville then College Station before heading northeast towards Tyler.

We will probably see some heavy thunderstorms, but nothing like you folks east of Dallas will.

The shear size of Ike is mindboggling. It came into Galveston looking more like a weak Cat-1 then quickly bounced up to a high Cat-2 near the eyewall. Winds went from 50-60mph with gusts to 80 to 80-90 with gusts to 110. 4.5 million people are without electricity. 7000 workers are heading to Houston to restore power.

DirecTv broadcast KHOU live on channel 361 during the storm. It was morbidly fascinating watching it unfold before me. One classic moment when the old school Dr. Neal Franklin corrected the primetime lead forcaster on the "collapse" of the eyewall. Kinda lioke watching Harold Taft backhand Pete Delkis

No comments: