The stars at night are big and bright...

The stars at night are big and bright...
The stars at night are big and bright...

Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Time Flies When You're Having Fun...

Yes, I'm a bad blogger. I have'nt made any entries the last several days, but I've got a really good excuse. I've been researching and playing with my new Suzuki Carry! The little dumpling is a beast off-road. I tried to get stuck a couple times just to see how bad it would be to get it out, but the danged thing refused to give up.

I tried to get an inspection sticker yesterday at Chico Auto Parts, but failed the inspection because the 12" stock tires were too slick and because the inspector was unsure if he could even give me a sticker. He said he had a call in to Austin and was waiting on a reply... See you guys later!!!

Right now I am running on the stock suspension, but I plan on adding a 2" liftkit for a bit more flexability on tires. Speaking of tires, I struck gold this morning...

I knew from my research that I could upgrade from 12" to 13" wheels without modifications. The bolt pattern is a standard 4 x 100mm and easy to find. Price, was the problem. I searched eBay, craigslist and the classifieds but nothing in my price range. The cheapest I found was $40 a tire and $45 a wheel. That's a total of $340 for a cheap set of 13" tires and wheels.

So I got up bright and early this morning and headed north to Sunset. I went to Phillips Salvage (one of the few junkyards left around here) and took a look at what they had to offer. It did'nt take long for me to find a set of 4 x 100mm steel wheels with (get this...) brand spanking new mud & snow tires mounted. They still had the teats on the tread so they could'nt have more than 20 miles on them! I went inside and asked how much for that set of rusty old 13" wheels & worn out tires.

$100.00 for the set.

Do you accept cash?

I loaded them up as fast as possible and got out of there before they had a change of heart. They bolted up perfectly on the Suzuki with the exception of a slight rub against the left fender every now and then in a sharp left turn. I can live with that.

So now armed with a fresh set of larger tires I set out to Decatur in search of an inspection sticker. My horsepower was noticeably weakened, but top speed noticeably increased as well. According to my GPS, I can hold a steady 55mph with no problems and have another 10-15mph in reserve. Definitely fast enough to safely drive around without blocking traffic.

I take 1810 to Decatur and decide to risk my life driving on 287 instead of trying to weave thru the backroads and cross 380. To my surprise Little Suzi cruised right up Decatur Hill and I actually passed a few people doing it!

I pull into the inspection station and all eyes were on yours truly. Nobody spoke a word to me while 2 cars ahead of mine were inspected, but everyone was checking out Little Suzi trying to figure out just what the fuck it was they were looking at. An old cowboy in his 70's walked around it 3 times stretching his neck in 6 directions to get a good look. He finally just turned to me and just smiled and shook his head.

"OK, pull it in."

I parked in front of the bay and grabbed all my paperwork. Insurance, export certificate, customs, bill of sale, ect. It went surprisingly well. The only snag was getting the system to accept my VIN number, but after a few tries it was accepted and the computer said "GIVE THAT MAN A STICKER!"

The next step in the paperwork parade is getting a Texas motor vehicle title. Once titled, I can get tags and be completely street legal. Then I will be able to drive whenever and wherever I want in Texas. That means no more daylight only or 25 mile restriction and I can drive it to and from work. Sweet!

Keep your fingers crossed for me, I'm off to Auto Registration in the morning!

No comments: