The stars at night are big and bright...

The stars at night are big and bright...
The stars at night are big and bright...

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

I Still Got It!

It's been many a moon since I rolled up my sleeves and dove head first into a dashboard installing a car stereo. Tonight, I did just that outfitting Little Suzi with a new Jenson AM/FM/HD/CD/XM stereo. The factory Japan AM radio just was'nt cutting it.

I headed out to Little Sister's this afternoon for a visit. From there I whipped out my old iPAQ and TomTom'ed my way to Sunset on the backroads then took 101 to the Bowie WalMart. I looked over their selection of car stereos and settled on a Jenson HD 5112 and a set of 4" Rockford speakers. Not a bad setup for what I need. They were out of the speakers, so I was forced to leave without them and return home. I swapped vehicles and drove to Decatur for the speakers.

By the time I finished all my running around it was already 9pm. Now I could have packed it all up and waited until morning when I could see what it was I was doing, but that would just be boring. I managed to remove the dash panel, remove the old radio, install and wire the speakers, install the new radio and have it all put back together and working by 11pm. 2 hours flat.

I was rather impressed.

Back in the day I was a car stereo guru, probably the reason for my hearing problems today. Anyway, I installed a hundred stereos and I did this one as fast as I ever have. To quote Toby Keith: "I ain't as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What did you do speakers? Used to be a guy at ist monday sold all kinds-crazy cheap

Anonymous said...

I meant what did you do for the subwoofer?

RPM said...

I didn't install one. There just wasn't any room to put one in the cab unless I shove it up under the dash somehow. Not a lot of extra room there, either.

I'm thinking about trying to get a pair of 6 x 9's in the doors, but not sure if they are deep enough to hold speakers.

My second plan is to get a pair of big all-weather speakers and mount them outside for camping at the races.