The stars at night are big and bright...

The stars at night are big and bright...
The stars at night are big and bright...

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

The Gods Are Angry, Somebody Bring Me A Virgin!

I'd post some pics, but none of my cameras are good enough to do any justice. This is freaky cool to watch. Centuries ago somebody would be losing their head or jumping in a volcano right about now.

I checked off and on for the first hour or so then watched the last 1/4 before total eclipse. It's hard to describe what I felt, but I did feel something. Awe, a connection with a greater power, a rift in the space/time continuum.... whatever. You could see it happening and feel the darkness enveloping you as previously unseen light became visable. Stars, planes, distant houses, ect.

It was strange. A complete and total blackout where the darkness wrapped it's self around you. A strange red object piercing the darkness above. The last time I felt something like this was sailing on the Arctic Ocean many years ago. It genuinely touched me and I felt connected.

The cherry on top was when several meteorites entered the atmosphere and gave a beautiful, but brief show. The darkness enhanced the shooting stars like I've never seen before.

Maybe one reason it feels so different is because of this:

 A lunar eclipse smack-dab on the date of the solstice, however, is unusual. Geoff Chester of the US Naval Observatory inspected a list of eclipses going back 2000 years. "Since Year 1, I can only find one previous instance of an eclipse matching the same calendar date as the solstice, and that is 1638 DEC 21," says Chester. "Fortunately we won't have to wait 372 years for the next one...that will be on 2094 DEC 21."


Since I don't have any decent pics, I leave you with this selection. I almost went with the Apacalypto eclipse scene, but after watching the sun return in a totally unexpected area of the Moon's surface (meaning I didn't even understand the angle of the eclipse and the orbits), I realized yet again just how very insignificant I am in the universe. 


This seemed more apropos.

No comments: