The stars at night are big and bright...

The stars at night are big and bright...
The stars at night are big and bright...

Sunday, December 12, 2010

All Quiet On The South 40 Front

All in all it's been very quiet around here lately. Too quiet, if you know what I mean. My "Spidey Senses" are tingling. It's like sailing across the calm sea knowing there's a rogue wave out there somewhere and it's got your name on it.

Life does that.

Oooh, I did get to see the new granddaughter of a dear late friend. All I could think of (besides how precious the baby was) was how proud Sheila would be of her. She did an excellent job raising her daughter and I have no doubt Jenn will do the same with Jade.

I also got to meet her husband Mike for the first time. I was very impressed with the young man. Emphasis on man. He's an Army scout home on leave from southern Iraq and just reupped for another hitch. 9 more months and they will be at Fort Lewis.

I have very good feelings about the future of those two 3!

One thing that isn't quiet lately is my tinnitus. It was all I could do to keep track of the conversation with them while we were eating lunch at Cracker Barrel. The ambient dining room noise mixed with the tinnitus drowned out their voices even tho I was sitting right next to them. I must have said "Huh?" 50 times. I said "Huh?" more than Danica Patrick says "You know?". I said it so much I started to get painfully self-conscious about it and went with the old smile/nod/laugh routine.

I hope it didn't look like I was being an ass and not paying attention to them because I was desperately trying to without standing up and yelling "EVERYBODY SHUT UP!". Besides creating an ugly scene and possibly causing me to be banned for life from Cracker Barrels coast-to-coast, I would have woke up the baby.

AARP in a little over a year. Ugh. I was never supposed to live this long. Somebody lost big money on the over/under. I should have went out years ago chopping down an oak tree in a ball of flames at 160MPH. Can ya smell that smell? All I can say is Carroll Shelby builds a damn fine automobile.

How did this post turn so dark?

I probably should have used bullet points, too.... meh.

No comments: