The stars at night are big and bright...

The stars at night are big and bright...
The stars at night are big and bright...

Saturday, May 23, 2009

I Can Fix That in 30 Minutes 1 Hour 4 & 1/2 Hours!


I'm sort of know of as the "go to guy" when something's broken at work. Hey, I grew up on a farm. You learn how to fix stuff because you have to!


So, tonight one of my employee's pickup broke down. The power steering pump on his '99 Dodge Ram broke. It was literally in 2 pieces. The drive shaft came loose and and the truck was not drivable. He was debating calling a wrecker or just driving it as is. He's a sweet old man and he has some challenges. I felt I had to help him out.


"I can fix that for you no problem. Take me about half an hour."
Yeah, riiiiight...


Normally, it would have been a 30 minute job. The definition of "normally" is in a proper shop with all the proper tools. I was in a parking lot with a half assed tool kit and trying to run a store.


Removing proper facilities changes the time ratio by + 47% . Removing proper tools, add 63% difficulty. Doing this while trying to work, all these factors increase exponentially.


Actually, most everything came apart very easily. (It usually does.) Putting it back together, completely different story. The real sticking point was removing the pulley from the old driveshaft and putting it on the new pump. Autozone apparently does not carry pulley pullers. They do have gear pullers, but those are NOT designed to remove a power steering pulley. I don't care how much you sweat and cuss. It ain't happening. Capice?


So I go to my emergency backup in these situations, Brotherinlaw. He has a massive set of tools and is a good mechanic. But, he's also 30 minutes away from Bridgeport. I make the call, he tells me not to worry, he's working in the garden with Littlesister but will be on the way with the tool I need, asap.


I tell my employee everything's under control, it will just take a little more time than I expected. His wife is calling him every 10 minutes wanting to know when he will be home. 30 minutes goes by and no Brotherinlaw. I reassure my employee, sometimes things take time. Just be patient.


An hour goes by and still no Brotherinlaw. My employee's wife is now calling him every 5 minutes wanting to know how much longer. I can't give him a time, but it won't be long as soon as I get the tool.


Finally, Brotherinlaw arrives with the tool. One small problem. The tool has SAE threads and the pumpshaft has Metric. Tool no worky.


Uh, How much longer is it going to be?


Luckily, Brotherinlaw has a vast network of mechanics on standby... OK, we got lucky and he knew a guy in town. Fortunately he did have the proper shop and tools needed to remove the pulley and reinstall it on the new pump. Now all I had to do was install the pump. In a dark parking lot. With my halfassed tool set.


Aaah, good times! Tell her 30 minutes!


It only took a total of 4 & 1/2 hours, a few busted knuckles, 3 trips to Autozone and help from Brotherinlaw and Randy, but I got him safely back on the road and saved him a buttload of money to boot.


Many thanks to Brotherinlaw (again), Randy (BIL's friend) and everyone that pitched in.


Now if you'll pardon me I have directed my attention towards a several well deserved cold beers.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That gesture will get you a star in your crown. You are a nice guy and a good friend to all.

el chupacabra said...

We often get more out of these situations than those we help- huh?

LandShark 5150 said...

Hey I got this 97 Ford pickem up and ... You are the the man. I find meself doing that kinda thing often, go to cussing and hissy fittin then get me arse out and doing it, and feel great about just being able to help. And the pay back that makes it all worth it,is the smile that I'm greeted with when me sees them again. You are a Gentlemen and a country scholar, which in my eye is ten fold better than the city scholar.

an Donalbane said...

Kudos to you for helping the gent - I agree with Anon that it's jewels in your crown.

Yeah, having the right tools makes all the difference. Found that out a few years ago replacing the [in-tank] fuel pump on my Ford SUV. Ya gotta have those little plastic gizmos to remove the fuel line couplers - or you get to replace the couplers (a simple hose clamp would be too easy). This week I had to replace a lamp in my microwave, no problem - until I got to one end of the cabinet and found that the three remaining screws were security (torx with a post) screws. Was able to borrow a security bit set and now I have light in my microwave again.