The stars at night are big and bright...

The stars at night are big and bright...
The stars at night are big and bright...

Saturday, May 3, 2008

Extended Warranty? I Don't Need No Stinking Extended Warranty!

The Appliance Gods mock my existence. After getting all hopped up on goofballs I decided to do a little upgrading to my laundry room and replaced the cheap foil and spring dryer hose for a heavier expandable metal one. The heavier one should solve some problems I've been having.

The procedure was quick and relatively painless. No animals were harmed in the filming of this episode.

So armed with my new heavy duty setup, I loaded up the dryer and put a new load in the washer. About 30 minutes later I go back to check on the clothes and the room is filled with smoke! Holy crap! The smell is like burning rubber or plastic. My first thoughts are that I have somehow run the new exhaust against something that is smoldering. I do a thorough inspection and can find nothing that looks suspect.

My next thought was the dryer belt. I take the dryer apart... nothing. So I fire everything up again and can't get it to smoke again. I know something is wrong somewhere, but can't figure it out. As I stand there running all the possible causes thru my head it suddenly dawns on me that my washing machine is running exceptionally smooth. I mean REALLY smooth. Turns out I had been barking up the wrong tree. The smell was the washer transmission burning up.

I paid a full $37.50 for that washer 4 years ago. This is an outrage!

No comments: