The stars at night are big and bright...

The stars at night are big and bright...
The stars at night are big and bright...

Monday, May 12, 2008

Cruisin' Tunes

I did a little running around today in Lil' Suzi and went to Bowie. I had to exchange the Castrol GTX 10w40 I bought last week for 5w30. I read on one of the minitruck forums that Suzuki's don't like 40 weight.

On the cruise up I listened to Russ Martin after figuring out my antenna extended farther that I had it... What a dumbass! After pulling it out another section it picked up all the Dallas stations I was having trouble with.

I went into WalMart and did the "Customer Service" thing. The line was short, which is exactly why I go to the Bowie Wallyworld. I told them I just wanted to exchange and went about my shopping. I found the 5w30 and picked up a few other goodies including a new CD, an old favorite of mine AC/DC's Highway To Hell. You have to realise that including this one, I own a grand total of 4 CD's. (Didn't somebody used to be a DJ???)

I made my way back to the Customer Service counter and made the exchange, or so I thought. My gallon of oil would not scan. Long story short, I f'ed up. I didn't buy the oil there. After further review I was pretty sure I bought it at O' Reilly's. Man, I'm batting .1000 today...

So I drag my disgusted self to O' Reilly's and swapped the oil. I decided to pop in the new CD for the ride back and that turned out to be a very good idea. Me and this CD go way back. I mean WAY back, before CD's existed. Back to the golden age of albums and cassettes. Back to the days of riding in the back of Dave Neiderman's Ford van commuting to work in Seattle from The U District, where a group of us Coasties rented a house, to the Todd Shipyards where our ship USCSG Boutwell (WHEC-719) was in drydock for what seemed like forever.

That was a great summer. Listening to KISW and discovering a whole new world of rock and roll. KZEW was the big Dallas station when I was in high school, and it was a great radio station. But, when I moved to Seattle I found a whole new edge of rock on KISW and KZOK. I had never heard of some of these groups before, J. Geil's Band, Pat Travers and... AC/DC.

That last one really did something to me. I had never heard music with such a driving beat and energy before. It reached inside me and made my soul shake. Bon Scott had a voice that could not be copied. The lyrics told stories that I could feel inside me. It made me want to... ROCK!

Anyway, we would listen to that tape everyday to and from work, plus a few times later that night partying. It was our theme music. If we were awake AC/DC was playing.

It's been years since I listened to music radio consistently. Mostly because music radio just bores the hell outta me anymore. I've migrated over to talk because it's infinitely more interesting and funny. After buying the HD radio for Lil' Suzi I've tuned in to some music, but it hasn't changed much. Thus the decision to buy a new CD.

The second I popped in Highway To Hell I immediately flashed back to 1970's Seattle. My sour mood vanished and I felt 18 again. That was a great ride home, but I need to add more speakers. Now I remember why I have the hearing damage that I do.

Bon Scott lives!

No comments: