The stars at night are big and bright...

The stars at night are big and bright...
The stars at night are big and bright...

Monday, June 10, 2013

Just Plane Awesome!

Talk about cool, this just about tops the list.

A 4 engine RC B-17 with a 19 foot wingspan and weighs 187 lbs. As complicated and time consuming as it was to build, I can't imagine taking the controls and risking all that work becoming a very expensive lawn dart. Multi engine flying is a completely different kind of flying... altogether! Doing it remote controlled is just crazy.

But kudos to the pilot, he did a fantastic job even after losing an engine in flight and makes a perfect landing. I wish I spoke German so I could understand what they are saying, but I pretty much got the gist of it. Kind of odd, Austrians building a B-17. What's next, a Japanese RC B-29?

2 comments:

an Donalbane said...

Das ist ganz Ausgezeichnet!

I'm not sure that the Nazi leader's countrymen building a B-17 replica is totally novel, inasmuch as the Germans were known to have captured and operated a few/several during the war.

Related note: When I was attending junior high in Wien in the early '70s, it was still common to see bomb craters 6-8' across, and a couple of feet deep, when walking through the Wienerwald.

el chupacabra said...

Wow, that is cool. The B17 is still one of my favorite aircraft.
Weren't a bunch of them used after WWII to spray pesticides for fire ants?