The stars at night are big and bright...

The stars at night are big and bright...
The stars at night are big and bright...

Friday, August 31, 2012

More F-350 Goodies

After spending the better part of 5 minutes trying to hook up to my gooseneck a few days ago I decided it was time for an upgrade in the seeing what the hell is going on department. My radio already is set up for a rearview camera, all I needed was the camera.  It was surprisingly cheaper than I was expecting. I found one on Amazon for under $15. SCORE!

Since I saved about $50 from what I was expecting to spend, I decided to use that for a new XM Xpress receiver. I hate to admit it but I've become kind of spoiled with the Sirius radio in my car. It's nice to be travelling and not constantly searching for or trying to milk the last bit of signal out of a good station. I wish they had this back when I was trucking. But then I would have never heard the guy that barricaded himself inside a Wyoming radio station. That was entertaining, unfortunately I lost the signal before I found out how it ended. Small market radio, gotta love it.

Mounting the camera was a piece of cake. 2 screws in the toolbox, string the wire alongside my CB coax and plug into the radio. Done.
Somebody needs a spray-in bedliner...

The XM was a bit more complex. I decided right on top of my Scangauge was the perfect spot. Didn't block my view and I could route the wires alongside my GPS coax. Getting it mounted on top of the Scangauge was going to be tricky. I couldn't use the mounting screws without destroying the Scangauge. Velco or 2-sided tape was an option, but both have a tendency to come loose in high temps leaving a sticky mess behind and Lord knows a black truck in the Texas sun never gets hot.

That's when I remembered I had a tube of 3M Weatherstrip/Gasket Adhesive and it just happened to be black. That stuff is better than Super Glue and a little dab will do ya. 5 minutes later, TA-DA! I even managed to get it centered and the edges aligned. Good thing because it ain't moving from there.
Not bad for a one eyed fat man...

Now if it takes me 5 minutes to hook up to my trailer, it won't be because I can't see what the hell is going on.

No comments: