The stars at night are big and bright...

The stars at night are big and bright...
The stars at night are big and bright...

Friday, January 7, 2011

Why Worry? I've got 2!

Thumbs. You forget just how handy they can be. Hitching rides, rating movies, texting, pronouncing life or death in the Colosseum. There's literally 1000's of uses. Tonight I tried my damnedest to cut my right one off... twice.

The meat counter decided tonight was the perfect time to freeze up. I had to fix it, no option. I couldn't just let all the meat sit there and spoil. So I take the thing apart and find a huge block of ice that could take down the Titanic. I had to disassemble the box covering the coils to get the ice out and air moving again. Problem was I tried to shortcut it (no pun intended) and only take one end of the 12ft metal box covering the coils apart and used a screwdriver to keep it pried open. That way I could get at the ice with a waterhose and still keep the other end of the case available for sales.

Things were going well and I melted most of the visable ice, but I still had to get to the stuff inside the coils where I couldn't see. I wedged my hand and the hose inside and went to work. In the process I bumped the straining sheet metal that was held by the screwdriver. It was like setting off a guillotine. The screwdriver slipped and the thing came snapping shut right on my thumb.

YEEOWWW!

It cut nice gash just above my thumbnail. So what did I do after I stopped the bleeding? The same freaking thing, only this time I had the lid pried open wider so it had more power behind it. Now I have a set on gashes on my thumb.

I finally took the hint and figured out a better way to keep it open without chance of chopping my thumb off.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, despite those minor irritations, how's the oil well project coming along?

RPM said...

So far not much going on. Waiting on the frac crew.

Anonymous said...

well, they say the third time is a charm!! and now your first cut has a friend!!

Anonymous said...

The first cut is the deepest - at least that's what Rod Stewart said. (Song by Cat Stevens)