The stars at night are big and bright...

The stars at night are big and bright...
The stars at night are big and bright...

Friday, October 16, 2009

T- Minus 20 Days

The countdown to the Dickey's 500 weekend at Texas Motor Speedway is running and all is well.
I've been busy working on XRV-1 getting her ready. There was one repair I couldn't make. Welding the broken aluminum door frame. I don't have a welder, much less a mig. But, I DO have a BrotherInLaw! After work wednesday I cranked the ol' gal up, headed over to The Grasslands and let a professional do the job.

I need to get me a set of those obnoxious air horns that plays "Dixie" really loud when I roll up in someone's driveway like Cousin Eddie in Christmas Vacation. That would be classy.



I'm not the only one that's been busy. Little Sister and BrotherInLaw have really made progress on their new horse barn/cowgirl cave. The last time I was there it was just partial framework. Now they have it skinned, a vented roof and the upstairs cowgirl cave has a floor framed out. I was quite impressed, but didn't think to take any pictures. Somebody promised to post some over at BootsnSpurs.... still waiting on that.

As usual, he did a great job in a difficult situation. 30 year old thin cast aluminum is hard enough to weld on a worktable. He did it in place, surrounded by flammable material and it worked great. I would have burned the whole thing to the ground if I tried that. That's why I went to a pro.

My only stumbling block has been the water heater. The LP control board is dead but I found a HottRod electric conversion kit for under $90 at RVToast and got free FedEx shipping. I'll have nice hot showers on race weekend after all. I think that's something everyone will appreciate.

No comments: