The stars at night are big and bright...

The stars at night are big and bright...
The stars at night are big and bright...

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

It's The Simple Things...

I got my new(er) Dodge truck a few months ago. As with all used cars there are issues. So far I only have two. There is a rattle in the driver's side window that bugs the shit out of me and the windshield washer doesn't work.

Today I went proactive on the 2nd. I tore apart the windshield cowling and cleaned all the lines and valves on the washer assembly. Surprisingly, it was easier than I expected for the teardown, only a few plastic retainers and 2 screws. But after tearing it all apart, it still doesn't work. I'm pretty sure the $.98 plastic spray nozzles are plugged with slime. (Always use washer fluid, not tap water!) I tried to unplug the nozzle with a small wire. I tried compressed air. I even took an old toothbrush and fished around, but no go. So I spent the better part of 2 hours accomplishing nothing other than confirming the lines and valves are clean and the nozzles are plugged.

Now all I have to do is run down 2 new spray nozzles. I searched all my usual online parts resources and came up with squat. With my luck it's an OEM only part, they are $20 each and on permanent backorder. (Seriously, use washer fluid!)

All I want to do is wash the rock truck mud off my windshield...

UPDATE: I didn't miss it by much. The part is a Dealer Only OEM part and it IS on backorder. The good news? They are only $15 each, not $20.

No comments: