The stars at night are big and bright...

The stars at night are big and bright...
The stars at night are big and bright...

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

I'm Getting Itchy Feet



No, I don't need some Absorbine, Jr. I've been in 1 spot for too long. I love to travel. I NEED to travel. It's the main reason I drove a truck for so many years. It's a big world and I can't see enough of it. OK, I've seen all the Arctic Circle I care to! (See your local U.S. Coast Guard recruiter today!)

For the past several years I've been aching to go to Belize. Placencia to be exact, roughly 700 miles south of Cancun, but I've put it off because I don't want to take the trip alone. It's the less inhabited portion of Southern Belize and is one of the last "unspoiled" areas of the world. It's a tropical paradise and was named one of the Top 10 places to retire a few years ago by Maxim. It has the 2nd largest Barrier Reef in the world, they speak english, love Americans, the cost of living is cheeeeeeap and they have a set-up where you can live there TAX FREE if you are over 40. Unfortunately, it has become a hotspot for those very same reasons.

If I don't make the trip this year, odds are I'll miss the unspoiled beauty of mile after mile of white sandy beach and lush, untouched tropical splendor. If I wait any longer it will be wall to wall all-inclusive tourist resorts with their air conditioning, all you can eat buffets and swim up bars filled with scantily clad women from around the world looking for a holiday fling.

Hmmm... let me rethink this a bit...

5 comments:

The Accomplice said...

I've been to Belize. We went with Princess cruise lines. It seemed like a poor country. The water wasn't as blue as I like.

Unknown said...

I've not only been to Belize, but came 8 years ago, bought a chunk of the Placencia Peninsula and now live here full time! Don't give up that dream... check our blog and website. Cruise ship visitors see only a smidgen of the country and the water is a blue as it can get!

http://traversbelize.blogspot.com/
http://traversbelize.com

RPM said...

Will do Drew! I've been planning on going there for a couple years now. On paper it looks like the perfect place for me to live.

I've talked to a friend of a friend that owns a place in the mountains and he's given me some good info on living down there.

I'm just worried the property prices will be out of my range by the time I'm able to do it.

abbienormyl said...

...vacationed in that region a few years ago...met a 70 year old woman who sold all of her possessions in Florida [after her hubby passed away] a drove there to live in her RV and scuba dive every day...I want to grow up and be just like her.....my hero....

littlesister said...

I think you should take your sister... she don't care if you gawk at the 1/2 naked girls, and you can tell everyone you went and "took your sister" nothing for other girls to get mad at you about..