The stars at night are big and bright...

The stars at night are big and bright...
The stars at night are big and bright...

Monday, November 17, 2014

Is this rocket science? Because I don't think it's rocket science.

I went to the local VA clinic today for blood work. They've installed a new touchscreen check-in kiosk that everyone has to use to check in. As I stood there watching everyone hacking and coughing (politely covering their mouth) then using the streaked up touchscreen, it dawns on me this might not be the most sanitary surface on the planet. At least Brookshire's puts hand wipes next to the shopping carts and they're assuming most of their customers aren't sick.

When I'm called in the nurse is chatting with me and I bring up the idea of putting hand sanitizer next to the kiosk. She tells me there is a hand cleaning station next to the front door. The check in kiosk is not by the front door, it's on the opposite end of the room. People are not going to run across the room to clean their hands after touching it, especially old people that don't get around well (there's tons of old people at the VA). I mention this to her.

Nurse: There is a hand cleaning station by the front door.

Me: But there should be one next to the touchscreen.

Her: It's by the front door. (Blank stare.)

I shut up before I piss her off any more as she's about to go poking around my veins with a needle and I'm really not into that even when I haven't pissed off the person with the needle. On my way out I stop to use the hand sanitizer by the front door (way too late because if there was anything on the screen I've got it good by now) and it won't work because the battery is dead.

This is definitely a government operation.

1 comment:

el chupacabra said...

Ha, look at RPM- he is trying to be reasonable and rational when discussing the operation of a government office.