The stars at night are big and bright...

The stars at night are big and bright...
The stars at night are big and bright...

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Tales From The Strip

It's been kinda quiet around The South 40 because I haven't been around The South 40. I twisted off and drove to Las Vegas for St.Patrick's Day. Actually I didn't do it for St.Patrick's Day, it just coincided with my wild hair.

I spent 4 days in Sin City and will give you all some of the juicy details when I return to the homestead, (I'm posting this from Amarillo on the return trip, but what happens in Vegas, STAYS in Vegas) but for now let me tell you a few truths I learned this excursion...

  1. A Mercedes SLK280 is not built for a 1100 2200 mile road trip when you are 6"2'. But cruising with the top down on Las Vegas Blvd is very cool, so that sort of levels things out. No pain, no gain.
  2. The Stratosphere is MUCH nicer, cleaner AND cheaper than The Monte Carlo. I was shocked at how shiny and clean The Strat was compared to Monte Carlo. Their rooms were dirt cheap, too. Averaged $50 a night Thursday thru Sunday. It might be a little further up The Strip but The Deuce stops right outside and it's a 5 minute ride to the rest of the action on The Strip.
  3. I need more Texas Hold 'em practice. The skill level of players is much higher in Vegas than Winstar. But I did manage to make the final table and win 10th Place in a tournament on Saturday. Payouts started with 5th, but hey... it's a start. 
  4. The top level of The Stratosphere parking garage is a highly restricted area (and they are serious about it). Don't ask me how I found that out.

No comments: