The stars at night are big and bright...

The stars at night are big and bright...
The stars at night are big and bright...

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

NEW FEATURE: Movies That Don't Suck

Besides stealing tag lines from networks nobody watches, I've been experimenting with a new interactive feature that will show you my recommendations for upcoming "DVRworthy" programs. So far my luck hasn't been great in getting that to work. In fact, I'm at Wyle E. Coyote stage at this point. I'm somewhere between faceplant catapult and rocket powered rollerskates in the summer catalog. But,I have an ACME Goldcard and lots of Gorilla Tape.

Is there anything on the face of sweet Mother Earth greater than Gorilla Tape?
I think not.

In the meantime, I thought I'd suggest some upcoming movies and a brief synopsis of why I think they are worthy of burning that precious DVR disc space.

Lifeguard (1976)
Thursday 11:00am  Showtime2    DirecTv Channel 547

Long before David Hasselhoff flexed his hairy pecs on Baywatch, Sam Elliott was King of the SoCal beaches as the ultracool 30ish LA County Lifeguard that happens to be sleeping with a 17 year old beach bunny (Kathleen Quinland) and his old high school sweetheart (Anne Archer) at the same time.

Decisions, decisions...

Cowboy Bebop The Movie: Knockin' on Heaven's Door (2001)
Thursday 1:00am Encore Action   DirecTv Channel 541

Full length version of the cult hit anime series about a ragtag group of space bounty hunters in search of a mad terrorist. This ain't Speed Racer or Pikachu, it's very well written.  It also features a fantastic soundtrack.

Very [Adult Swim].

Run Silent, Run Deep (1958)
Saturday 11:00am TCM    DirecTv Channel 256

Save your Hunt for Red October and Crimson Tide, Submarine movies don't get much better than this (except for Das Boot). Sparks fly as Clark Gable and Burt Lancaster set sail to the Bungo Straits in search of those tricky Japs. Jack Warden and a young Don Rickles fill out the crew.

I Am Comic (2010)
Thursday 4:00am  ShowtimeHD West    DirecTv Channel 546

Johnathan Brody gives you an unprecedented behind the scenes look at the lives of standup comics and their addiction to the profession in this very interesting and entertaining documentary.

2 comments:

YM said...

Is it a coincidence that the ad on the gorilla vs. duct tape page is the most interesting man in the world? Stay thirsty, my friend.

Kay said...

I love movies...new and old, mostly Indy films. I admit I've only seen one on your list - Lifeguard. And I admit, I fell in love with Sam Elliott, then and there!