The stars at night are big and bright...

The stars at night are big and bright...
The stars at night are big and bright...

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Goodbye Ruby Tuesday

I stumbled across this watching Tony Bourdain. One of the commercials was about blowing up the last "old" Ruby Tuesday. To be honest, I've never eaten there. Apparently I'm among the majority in this respect. Heck, I never heard of them before last year and could care less if they've remodeled. But throw in some high explosives and a live netfeed and you've got my attention!

This afternoon at 2pm they will put fire in the hole, live at RubyTuesday.com .

Investors in the struggling chain may get a perverse pleasure out of watching as Ruby Tuesday's performance has been among the poorest in the casual dining category. Earlier this month, the chain released its annual fiscal 2008 report, which saw revenue decline 3.5%. Fourth-quarter same-store restaurant sales fell 10.3% and 7.2% at company-owned and domestic franchise respectively. For Ruby Tuesday's fiscal 2009, it is projecting a decline of low to mid-single digits for the year with next quarter's sales to be down 8-9%.

Translation: That's worse than Bennigan's numbers.

I'm sure I could work in a bit about them dropping the minimum pieces of flair, but I've got a stack of TPS reports to get done and I really just don't care.

edit: My lip is sore from having the hook set so badly. Cheeky monkeys!

1 comment:

just a girl... said...

I am in the same boat as you. Saw it a year ago but couldnt even tell you whats on the menu.