The stars at night are big and bright...

The stars at night are big and bright...
The stars at night are big and bright...

Friday, September 7, 2012

I Love a Parade!


Looks like it's time to dust off the old microphone. For better or worse, I'll be the Master of Ceremonies once again for the 58th Annual Wise County Sheriff's Posse Rodeo Parade this Saturday in Decatur. I haven't seen the final line up yet, but I can guarantee you it will be fun for the whole family. I'm hoping to see some local High School bands involved. For some reason they haven't been participating in the parade for several years. As a proud former member of The World's Largest Non-Nuclear Coast Guard Marching Band, I question the absence of  local bands at a gig that just begs for a marching band. Consider it a warm-up for Homecoming, whatever... it's what marching bands do! The forecast is calling for a high in the mid-80's, so the weather will be perfect! There's no excuse for not participating.

This will be my 5th time emceeing the parade. That puts me in the exclusive Five-Timers Club with Candice Bergen and Bill Murray. OK, so they were hosting SNL, but this is also a live event and they didn't have to work with horses and fire trucks so I'm crashing their party. They're free to file a protest if they don't agree with my ruling.

Amazing how downtown Decatur resembles downtown Ft. Worth in those pictures, ain't it? Actually those are from the WCSP at the 2012 Stock Show Parade. I don't have time to play Joe Duty when I'm announcing so this is the best I could do. (Note: They had LOTS of marching bands there!) Better yet, come on down to The Square this Saturday and take your own! Maybe we could scrounge up a photo contest with some sort of prize. Who knows? Just ignore the fat man on the stage. He is not the droid you're looking for. You have your assignment. Good luck, Mr. Phelps.

Don't about forget the all Chisholm Trail Days Western Heritage Festival events that will be happening downtown on Saturday and the dance following the Rodeo on Friday night. It's a weekend full of good music and fun stuff to do. How often can you say that in Decatur?
Cowboy up.

No comments: